Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Day 25: Ten Fascinating Psychological Conditions I Don't Have

I spend a lot of time thinking about all the mental problems I have, but I take heart in the fact that I don't have any of these much more rare and strange and sometimes horrible conditions (although #10 would be cool).
  1. Alice in Wonderland Syndrome: a perception that objects are the wrong size or otherwise distorted (Wikipedia entry)
  2. Apotemnophilia: a strong and specific desire to amputate one’s own healthy limb(s)  (Wikipedia entry)
  3. Capgras Syndrome: a delusion that a close friend or family member has been replaced by an imposter (Wikipedia entry)
  4. Cotard’s Syndrome: a delusion that one is dead or does not exist (Wikipedia entry)
  5. Fregoli Syndrome: a delusion that different people are actually the same person wearing elaborate disguises (Wikipedia entry
  6. Jumping Frenchmen of Maine: an abnormally pronounced startle reaction to sudden stimuli accompanied by a compulsion to do anything that is commanded in a sharp and decisive tone (Wikipedia entry)
  7. Koro: an overwhelming belief and fear that one’s external genitalia are retracting, shrinking, or about to disappear (Wikipedia entry)
  8. Pica: a compulsion to eat non-nutritive or otherwise inappropriate substances (Wikipedia entry)
  9. Prosopagnosia: an inability to recognize faces, even of close friends and relatives (Wikipedia entry)
  10. Synesthesia: a perception of crossing or connected sensory pathways (smelling colors, hearing textures, etc.) (Wikipedia entry)

1 comment:

  1. I think I suffer from several of these. Or perhaps I'm dead...is that red I smell?!?

    ReplyDelete