Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Day 4: Martinis & Olives pattern

For a long time, I've wanted to... Those words will probably start a lot of my posts this year. 

Anyway, for a long time, I've wanted to try my hand at making repeating/tileable patterns. I don't know what for, maybe desktop wallpapers, or custom fabric (check out Spoonflower), or scrapbooking papers, or about any number of things. 

So I found a Photoshop tutorial for making repeating patterns, and since I have to make something new every day, I made a pattern! I decided to make my first pattern about a subject I care very dearly about.

I used a martini image designed by my multi-talented friend Mat and added some little olives of my own making. Then I threw in a ton of dots, because dots make me happy. And there you have it.

It's not as esthetically pleasing as I would like - too busy, and some of the dots ended up lining up oddly, and the edges of the martini glasses got a little wonky - but now I know how to make patterns! I can check that off my Someday I Wanna Learn How To list. 

1 comment: